A single, in-office whitening treatment can brighten your teeth up to 10 shades, but, in time, exposure to your favorite foods and drink will eventually start to make them lose their luster all over again. Exactly how you treat your teeth can have a large impact on how quickly this happens, though. In other words, if you are careful and take some steps to maintain their appearance, you can keep that bright, white smile much longer.
Maintenance is important. Just like anything else, if you spend the small amounts of time and money now to prevent a problem, it will save you huge amounts of time and money that would be spent trying to correct a problem. Take a look at these tips to keep your teeth white and see if you can adopt some in your daily routine.
- Use a whitening toothpaste once or twice a week to prevent further yellowing and remove light stains
- Avoid overuse of some well-known teeth stainers, such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, and red wine
- Avoid sticky foods that hold onto your teeth
- Brush (or at least rinse) immediately after consuming any of those beverages or foods
- It might look strange to drink wine through a straw, but you may consider using one on all those known stain-causing beverages so the liquid will go right past your front teeth
- If you’re a smoker, this is just one more reason to quit
- Be adamant about the basics of good oral hygiene, which includes brushing twice a day and flossing at least once
- Follow any extra instructions that we might give you
- Talk to us about getting a touchup – eventually, the whitening will fade, but we can keep it looking nice with a few touchups when you come in for your regular checkup
You probably didn’t see anything too earth-shattering or revolutionary here. There’s a reason for that.
These steps work.
They’ve always worked.
And we’ve seen again and again how these steps can augment an in-office treatment to keep your pearly whites shining as long as possible.
A teeth whitening procedure is meant to last for months, in some cases up to a year, but that is all dependant on how you treat your teeth after you leave the office. Some studies have even suggested that the color can start to fade in as little as a single month if you immediately expose them to the wrong kinds of food and beverages. If you are actively seeking ways to maintain your white teeth, you could make a single treatment last a year or more.
Don’t skip out on any of them and be proactive about smile maintenance and you’ll never hesitate to show off your beautiful smile.